The Gardner Parks and Recreation Department strives to establish, preserve and manage public parks and facilities that offer a variety of leisure opportunities to benefit and enrich the quality of life for the people of the community.Select a park from the listing below to learn about the park/facilities and amenities each park offers for the enjoyment of you and your family.
If you would like to reserve a park or facility, click here to submit a facility request. Reservations can also be made in person at the Parks and Recreation Customer Service Center located in City Hall, 120 E. Main Street, Gardner, KS. Reservations for shelters, pool and pool shelter rentals must be made and paid for 72 hours in advance. Reservations for the Senior Center must be made seven days in advance. NO reservation will be made or accepted until it is entered into the computer by the Parks and Recreation staff, you have signed the Waiver of Liability, and all applicable fees are paid in full. (Please note: No reservations will be made for park shelters after 12:00 p.m. on Fridays for the weekend following. Staff needs adequate time to prepare shelters and be given assignments.) Shelter, Ballfield & Senior Center Reservation Policies (pdf)
Any individual or group wanting to charge admission for attendance to an event or sell an item or product at a park shelter or other City of Gardner facility must receive written consent from the Director of Parks and Recreation or their designee, and additional charges and fees may apply to the rental. The City of Gardner and the Gardner Parks and Recreation Department reserve the right to refuse rental activities that are not of good character, illegal, or may be detrimental to the facility.
Gardner Parks & Recreation does not allow pets at any of our sports fields, including the baseball/softball and soccer fields at Celebration Park and the baseball/softball fields at Westside Park.
**Bathrooms in Gardner Parks: Annually, park bathrooms are open approx. from April 1- October 1- However, if there is a threat of freeze, they may open later than April. 1 and be closed earlier than Oct. 1. For Westside Park: The bathrooms at Westside Park are not open unless there are softball and baseball games being played.
**A portable toilet can be rented for use at an additional charge and by request. Please make your request and pay for a portable toilet at least one week in advance to give staff time to order and schedule delivery of the toilet.
- Audio/Visual System
Click here to request this facility for a reservation.
The newly renovated Gardner Senior Center is located at 128 E. Park Street and serves many purposes for the Gardner Parks and Recreation Department and the community. It is used each weekday by the Johnson County Meals on Wheels program and is available to rent from 3:00 p.m.-11:00 p.m. on weekdays and 7:00 a.m.-11:00 p.m. on weekends. Building capacity is 89. It is also the location of many Gardner Parks and Recreation activities and programs and is available to rent by the public. It is the perfect place for a meeting, reception, birthday party, family reunion, shower, etc.
Amenities now include: a kitchen with sink, fridge/freezer, four warming drawers, counter space and island; LED TV, DVD, projector, Audio/Visual system, podium, Wi-Fi, tables, chairs and a comfortable seating area. There are twelve 6' tables, eight 48" round tables and 100 chairs. Reserve the Senior Center today for your next event!
Senior Center Fees
|Mon-Fri Only||Sat/Sun Only|
|Hourly Fee||Four Hour Blocks|
|7 am-11 am / Noon-4 pm / 5 pm-9 pm|
|Rental Fees||One or more blocks may be selected|
|Gardner Senior Residents**||$30.00||$60.00|
|After Hours (9-11 p.m.)||$15.00||$15 per hour|
|Projector/ A/V / Podium||Add $20 per day||Add $20 per day|
|Mon-Fri Rentals||Either an hourly rate or a block rate can be chosen for the rental. Block fees
can be used Mon-Fri and times are flexible between 2-9 pm (for 4 hr block.
|Sat/Sun Rentals||Rental time is restricted to block times only. Renters can add-on the after hours
from 9-11 p.m. at $15 per hour.
|*Gardner Residents||Residents must show proof of residency to receive resident discount and must be
the person renting the center to receive discount.
|Seniors must be 60 and older to receive Senior Discount and show proof of
residency. Senior must be the person renting the center to receive discount.
To reserve the building:
- Parks & Recreation staff must approve the use of the building as well as confirm that the date and time are available.
- The facility contract must be signed by renter.
- All fees must be paid in full which includes the rental fee and deposit fee.
- Reservations must be made 7 days in advance of rental date.
SENIOR CENTER POLICIES
A complete list of policies are located in the Senior Center contract or click here. Please note that some policies have changed. See at bottom for Waiver of Fees Policy. The following list of rules must be followed while using the building:
**Please Note: Upon arrival at the Senior Building, it is the responsibility of the renter to do a thorough inspection of the building to look for any damage or unclean areas. If anything is discovered, please call the Parks and Recreation Customer Service Desk (913) 856-0936 and leave a message. If damage is not reported prior to the start of your reservation, your deposit may be subject to be withheld.**
The deposit is refundable and persons who rent the building must allow up to two weeks for processing for the refund of the deposit if fees are paid with cash or check. If fees are paid with debit or credit card, please allow up to 3 days for processing the deposit refund. Senior Building key must be received back at the Parks and Recreation Customer Service office in City Hall to receive the deposit refund. Key must be returned within one business day of rental.
Gardner Parks and Recreation Department reserves the right to forfeit the deposit and rental fee if the facility is not left to its requirements, damage has occurred, or any of the rules and regulations were broken.
Reservation cancellations must be made at least 48 hours prior to the rental date or the rental fee and deposit will be forfeited.
Reservations may only be made up to one year in advance and must be approved by Parks and Recreation staff.
- Alcohol is not permitted.
- Decorations must remain on tables and not attached to any walls or tables with tape, glue or tacks, etc.
- Use of candles (except dripless, contained or battery operated), fog machines, glitter and confetti in any form are not allowed.
- Tables and chairs must be moved back to standard arrangement of how they were found upon the start of the rental time.
- The renter must clear all tables of debris, pick up all trash, remove decorations and dispose of all food and trash. Also trash receptacles must be emptied in the trash dumpsters behind the building. Kitchen must be left in the order in which it was found and warming drawers must be turned off at end of rental.
- Items may not be stored at the building overnight or prior to a rental date and time.
- Renters may start their rental no earlier and end no later than the time and date agreed to in the contract.
- The building key checked out to the renter must be returned to Gardner Parks and Recreation within one business day of the rental date.
Waiver of Fees Policy for the Senior Center (pdf)
Any individual or group wanting to waive Senior Center Rental Fees must meet the following eligibility requirements. Requests that do not meet the requirements will be determined on a case by case basis based on events that are aligned with the mission of Gardner Parks and Recreation.
1. Non-profits with 501(c)3 status.
2. Clubs and organizations that provide educational or community program opportunities that are open to the general public and who donate services.
3. Potential partners who wish to go into an in-kind service agreement with the City of Gardner.
4. City of Gardner departments who are utilizing rental space for official City of Gardner business.
In order for an application to be considered, applicants must complete the Waiver of Fee Request Form. A refundable deposit must be paid at the standard rate of $110.00. This fee cannot be waived. If an agency is a non-profit, a copy of their 501(c)3 must be attached.
Fee waivers are granted at the discretion of the Parks and Recreation Director and/or Superintendent.