Military Resource Information

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option



Click on the links below to find available resources and services for members of the military:


 To print out a PDF of all the resources, click here.


GENERAL ASSISTANCE                                                

Joining Community Forces

Kansas Joining Community Forces (JCF) works in communities around the state to provide efficient assistance to service members, veterans and their families. 
Contact: Tammy Alsup, Lenexa Family Assistance Specialist; HRCI Contractor
Phone: 785.646.7680




 Gardner American Legion LeRoy Hill Post 19       
The Gardner American Legion is a local service organization that addresses the needs of veterans, service members and communities. Its commitment also extends to mentoring and sponsorships of youth programs within their local communities.
Phone: 913.884.9568




The American Legion 

The American Legion is the nation’s largest veterans service organization. It provides numerous programs and services in the areas of community needs, family and youth, and national affairs.

Contact: Mark Walker, Deputy Director, Veterans Employment and Education Division
Phone: 202.861.2700


 American Red Cross of Greater Kansas City

The American Red Cross provides support to the armed forces by identifying veterans’ needs, connecting them with resources and aiding them with claims for assistance. To get help, veterans can contact their local office, the American Red Cross of Greater Kansas City, in Kansas City, Mo. 

Phone: 816.931.8400


 Army OneSource
By registering with Army OneSource, military members and their families can access valuable tips and tools to help them with tasks such as growing their career or fixing their credit. OneSource also has a Resource Center, which features educational materials, web events and more.
 Contact: Gregory Marino, Kansas State Community Support Coordinator 
 Phone: 313.456.3978


 Kansas Military Family Assistance Centers
Kansas Military Family Assistance Centers (FACs) serve members of all military branches and their families by supplying them with resources and referrals. 
Contact: Tammy Alsup, Lenexa Family Assistance Specialist; HRCI Contractor
Phone: 785.646.7680


 Transition Assistance Advisors
Transition Assistance Advisors direct veterans to the benefits available to them.
Contact: Howard Steanson, Kansas Transition Assistance Advisor
Phone: 785.646.1188


 Veterans of Foreign Wars (VFW)
Veterans of Foreign Wars (VFW), headquartered in Kansas City, Mo., is the largest combat veterans’ organization in the U.S. The organization provides assistance to service members, and, by becoming VFW members, veterans can also gain access to a variety of benefits.
Phone: 785.272.6463



 US Department of Veterans Affairs
The US Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) provides vital services to America's veterans. The VA also delivers health care services, benefit programs and access to national cemeteries to former military personnel and their dependents.
Phone: 1.800.827.1000




KanVet aids veterans and their families in the areas of employment, education and more. The organization helps veterans with jobs searches and provides links to employers for jobs that match their skill sets. It also helps them earn degrees, initiate careers, and enhance their quality of life through health resources.


KanTRAIN programs provide job training in high-demand healthcare and advanced manufacturing careers. Veterans are given priority preference for placement in these job training programs.
Contact: Kevin Remy, KanTRAIN Military Transition Director
Phone: 620.794.2814


 Veterans of Foreign Wars (VFW): 1 Student Veteran
Through this Veterans of Foreign Wars (VFW) program, student veterans can receive assistance regarding education benefits.



Addiction Center provides the most up-to-date information on addiction as well as reviews of top treatment centers across the country.
Phone: 877.655.5116


 Kansas City Family Therapy
Kansas City Family Therapy provides treatment for a variety of mental health issues, specifically Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) and traumatic stress-related symptoms.
Phone: 913.371.2253 


 Mobile Medical Unit
Mobile Medical Unit is a healthcare clinic on wheels. The 40-foot-long medical facility can be dispatched to provide care for our veteran communities. One of the Mobile Medical Unit’s primary stops is at the American Legion Post 153, located at 410 Dennis Ave., Olathe, Kansas. It is available there the first Tuesday of every month. It’s also available the second and fourth Monday of every month at this location. Veterans would need to be there between 8:30 a.m. and 2:30 p.m. in order to receive services.
Phone: 816.861.4700 OR 1.800.525.1483/Ext. 52977


The Mobile Vet Center provides a broad range of counseling, outreach, and referral services to combat Veterans and their families. Vet Centers guide Veterans and their families through many of the major adjustments in lifestyle that often occur after a Veteran returns from combat. Services for a Veteran may include individual and group counseling in areas such as Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), alcohol and drug assessment, and suicide prevention referrals. All services are free of cost and are strictly confidential. The Mobile Vet Center main office is located at 4800 Main St., Kansas City, Missouri. 

Phone: 816.753.1866; After hours: 1.877.WAR.VETS



 The recovery VILLAGE
 The Recovery Village offers comprehensive treatment for dual diagnosis based drug and alcohol rehab, eating disorder and mental health treatments tailored to the patient’s specific needs. At The Recovery Village, they understand addiction. Their fully trained staff will guide patients and family to the goal of complete rehabilitation.
 Phone: 855.408.2096

 Stress, Trauma, Addictions and Recovery (STAR) Military Program
The Stress, Trauma, Addictions and Recovery (STAR) Military Program is offered at HCA Midwest Health’s Research Psychiatric Center, located in Kansas City, Mo. The STAR Unit provides health care to veterans for trauma and PTSD, in addition to recovery from substance abuse and addiction.
Phone: 816.604.8967


VA Eastern Kansas Health Care System

The VA Eastern Kansas Health Care System provides healthcare services to veterans in the Kansas and Missouri area. The health-care system offers a full range of medical, behavioral, rehabilitative and preventative services.

Phone: 1.877.222.VETS (8387) (Before 4 p.m.); 1.800.952.VETS (8387) (From 4 p.m. to 8 a.m.)

Veterans Crisis Line: 1.800.273.8255




 VA Heartland Network
VA Heartland Network list the locations of a variety of healthcare services. Once on the site, click on the location that is closest to you and the contact information will become available at that time.



 reStart: Support Services for Veteran Families

Housing assistance non-profit reStart offers a Support Services for Veteran Families program, which helps veterans and veteran families with housing issues.

Contact: Jordan Cook, Wyandotte County Outreach Specialist
Phone: 816.674.2682  
Veterans Crisis Line: 1.800.273.8255