2019 Citywide Clean Up
This year, the City of Gardner's Citywide Clean up will take place over two consecutive Saturdays, June 8 and June 15.
Residents south of 175th Street/Main Street will receive service on Saturday, June 8. Residents north of 175th Street/Main Street will receive service on Saturday, June 15. This offer does not apply to properties residing along private streets.
For more detailed information and a comprehensive list of collected items, see the related news release.
Local Refuse and Recycling Haulers
To start refuse and recycling service at your home, please choose from one of the following service providers. The City of Gardner does not provide municipal refuse and recycling services; they are provided by private haulers.
- Gardner Disposal: 913.856.3851 - offers curbside recycling
- Waste Management: 866.570.4702
- L & K: 913.837.4637 or 888.837.4640 - offers curbside recycling
Johnson County trash haulers provide curbside recycling to all single-family homes and offer volume-based trash pricing. In addition, Johnson County residents may not dispose of yard waste in landfills. Instead, the following options will help you properly dispose of it:
- Conveniently Curbside: Most haulers plan to provide curbside yard waste collection services to their customers for a fee.
- Backyard Compost Bin: Leaves, grass clippings and even food waste can be easily managed on-site with a backyard composting bin.
- Leave it on the Lawn: Grass clippings and fallen leaves can be mulched onto the lawn using a mulching mower.
- Drop-Off: There are several locations in the area where residents can drop-off yard waste for composting. Fees apply.
For more information, please contact the Johnson County Environmental Department at 913.715.6900.
Click here to see a list of solid waste facility information.
Helpful Recycling Websites
- Johnson County Environmental Department - Provides recycling and yard waste information for Johnson County residents here. Can also be reached at 913.715.6900.
- Ripple Glass - Want to recycle your glass products? Visit www.rippleglass.com or call 816.221.GLASS (4527) for information and drop-off locations. In Gardner, their purple collection containers can be found in the Price Chopper parking lot.
- Kansas Department of Health and Environment, Bureau of Waste Management Program - Public information providing recycling information for Kansans: www.kansasrecycles.org. This site is maintained by the Kansas Organization of Recyclers under contract to KDHE. Our website is www.kskor.org.
- Paper Retriever Community Recycling Program - Bright green and yellow containers called the Paper Retrievers are placed at many Gardner schools for residents to drop off newspapers, magazines, shopping catalogs and mail. Some of the containers even accept plastic 1 and 2, aluminum, paper and cardboard. This recycling opportunity is a fundraiser for the local school. Paper is collected and weighed at the time of collection on the trucks. A monthly statement detailing the amount of paper collected for the month is usually accompanied by a check for the amount collected over the minimum of two tons. In addition, Abitibi Recycling offers annual recycling contests and promotions to provide additional cash incentives. To learn more about the program you can visit their website: www.paperretriever.com.
- Need to Recycle Something But Don't Know Where to Take It? - RecycleSpot.org was developed by the Solid Waste Management District and the Mid-America Regional Council. Information in RecycleSpot.org is collected and maintained by the MARC Solid Waste Management District staff. You can go to this website and find out where to recycle specific types of items. This website contains information for hundreds of service providers, businesses and communities, so it is suggested you verify information with the appropriate business or organization via phone or e-mail.
- Earth 911 - You can also visit earth911.org to find a recycle location close to you.