Records Requests

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option
The City Clerk's Office coordinates all records requests received by the City of Gardner and serves
as the City's Freedom of Information Officer. For questions regarding open records please see the
FAQ section below. If your question is still unanswered after referencing the FAQs, please contact
the City Clerk at:

Phone: (913) 856-0945


City of Gardner
Attn: City Clerk
120 E. Main St.
Gardner, KS 66030


What is the Kansas Open Records Act (KORA)?

KORA is the Kansas Open Records Act. This Act outlines the procedures and provisions for public
viewing and copying of records created and maintained by public entities (such as the City of
Gardner). KORA provides information about various topics pertaining to open records including but
not limited to:
•    Defining what constitutes a public record
•    Determining what types of records must remain open and which may be closed
•    Providing guidelines for the accessibility of records by the public

Why is KORA important?

KORA is important because it provides the public with transparency and information by allowing the
viewing and copying of public records.


What is a public record?

A “public record” is defined as any information that has been recorded in any way that was created
by, is maintained by, or is kept by a public entity or an officer or employee of a public entity
(when related to the officer’s or employee’s job duties and related to the operations or activities
of any public entity.   K.S.A. 45-217(g)(1)(A-B)

What records are available?

Many of the records maintained by the City of Gardner are open for inspection and copying by
individuals. Commonly requested records include ordinances, resolutions, minutes from open
meetings, and budgets.

There are several common types of documents exempted from disclosure including but not limited to
personnel information of public employees, medical treatment records, records protected by
attorney-client privilege or rules of evidence, notes and preliminary drafts, and records
mandatorily closed by federal law, state statutes or Supreme Court Rule. For a complete listing of exemptions listed, see K.S.A. 45-221

Additionally, please note that KORA does not require the creation or interpretation of public records; it only outlines provisions for accessibility of preexisting records, see Kansas Attorney General's Office KORA FAQs

I’m looking for a copy of a Police Report. Is this a KORA request handled by the City Clerk’s

Any requests related to police records or reports should be directed to the City of Gardner Police

Are any of the City of Gardner’s records available online?

Some of the City of Gardner’s most commonly requested records are available online:

How can I request an open record?

All records requests must be made in written format. For your convenience, a records request form
is located at the bottom of this page; however, you may submit your request via email, traditional
mail, fax, or in writing at City Hall should you prefer.


Make a request via email

In order to best fulfill and to expedite your request, please make your request as specific as
possible. Please note that the City Clerk may ask detailed questions in order to fill your request


Can I be charged for requesting open records?

KORA authorizes public agencies to charge fees for providing access to or for furnishing copies of
public records. This fee may be requested in advance. The cost of staff time required to compile
requested information, the cost of retrieving records from off-site storage, as well as any other
costs incurred by the City to fill the request may also be charged.

How long will it take for me to receive the results of my request?

You will receive a response informing you of the receipt of your request within three business
days. If your request can not be fulfilled within three business days, the City Clerk will inform
you of the expected time frame and costs involved.

How will I know if my KORA request cannot be fulfilled?

If the request is denied, you will receive a written explanation for the denial.

Are there any limitations on what I can use the information obtained in an open records request

A list of names and addresses shall not be obtained from public records for the purpose of selling
or offering for sale any property or service to the persons listed. This provision does not prohibit commercial use generally; it just applies to use of the names to sell or offer to sell property or a service. This provision does not prohibit use of list of names obtained from public records to solicit the purchase of property from the persons listed. This provision pertains to the names and addresses of businesses listed in the public records, as well as individuals.
Any person who knowingly sells, gives, or receives records for such purpose is subject to a fine. The agency may require a person who requests such records to provide written certification that she
or he will not use the record for that prohibited commercial purpose. A third party who obtains this information from a requester violates the law if it is used for
commercial purposes. For more information see K.S.A. 45-230

Where can I find more information about KORA?

Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Download Acrobat Reader Flash Player Download Flash Player Windows Media Player Download Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Download Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Download Word Viewer Excel Viewer Download Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer Download PowerPoint Viewer
Please correct the field(s) marked in red below:

Please fill out the form below to request a Record to be Inspected or a Record to be Copied.

Please fill out the form below to request a Record to be Inspected or a Record to be Copied.
Type of Record Requested
Type of Record Requested

No person shall sell, give or receive, for the purpose of selling or offering for sale any property or service to persons listed therein, any list of names and addresses contained in or derived from public records, unless otherwise specified. KSA 45-230.

A charge for providing access to public records is authorized by state law and has been established by the City governing body. These charges are set at a level to compensate the City for the actual costs incurred in honoring your request. The fee schedule established by the City is posted in this office. Prepayment of the fee may be required..

Electronic Signature
Electronic Signature
  1. To receive a copy of your submission, please fill out your email address below and submit.