The City of Gardner is an Equal Opportunity Employer who fully and actively supports equal access for all people, regardless of Race, Color, Religion, Gender, Age, National Origin, Veteran Status, Disability, Genetic Information & Testing, Family & Medical Leave, Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity or Expression. We prohibit Retaliation against individuals who bring forth any complaint, orally or in writing, to the employer or the government, or against any individuals who assist or participate in the investigation of any complaint or otherwise oppose discrimination.
To submit an application electronically, please click HERE. Note: our online application process works best with Internet Explorer 7 or later versions, so please verify that your browser is up-to-date before beginning the online submission process.
Parks & Recreation Seasonal positions
- please click here
to view a list of seasonal positions available and complete the seasonal application
Water Treatment Plant Supervisor (Utility) - Salary Range: $53,892 - $78,336/yr – EXEMPT – Performs skilled and specialized work supervising, directing, and participating in the operation and maintenance of the City of Gardner's water treatment plants and storage facilities. The employee in this position is a working supervisor responsible for assigning and supervising the work of the water treatment division. The Plant Supervisor (Water) is responsible for collecting and submitting all records, testing reports and chemical analysis needed to comply with KDHE permits to produce a potable water supply for the City of Gardner. Requires high school diploma or GED. Minimum of four (4) years experience in operation and maintenance of a water production plant, storage facilities, inlet structures, towers and pumping stations with a minimum of two (2) year supervisory or lead worker experience or any equivalent combination of training and experience that provides the required knowledge, ability and skill. Requires possession of a Class IV Water Plant Operator certification from the State of Kansas. Requires the possession of a valid driver’s license and a good driving record. Application Deadline: Open Until Filled with First Review Date: 5/8/15
Line Maintenance Worker (Public Works) - Salary Range: $31,596 - $45,900/yr. Performs semi-skilled work in a wide variety of water and sewer maintenance and construction tasks. Requires high school diploma or GED with a minimum of one (1) year experience in semi-skilled maintenance or construction, and/or operation of equipment, similar to that of the assignment or any equivalent combination of training and experience which provides the required knowledge, ability and skill and possession of a valid CDL. Hours: M-F; 7-4. Application Deadline: 5/8/15
Administrative Assistant (Administration) - Salary Range: $31,596 - $38,748/yr. – Work is of a responsible and sometimes confidential nature requiring the exercise of independent judgment and action. Employee is responsible to and subject to the direct supervision of the Human Resources Supervisor or their designee. Prefer individuals that have an interest in human resources. This position will provide assistance with the administration of human resources processes and programs such as benefits enrollment and records maintenance and retention. Requirements include high school diploma or GED and 2 years experience in office work and word processing or any equivalent combination of training and experience that provides the appropriate knowledge, abilities, and skills. Requires the possession of a valid driver’s license and a good driving record. Prefer previous human resources experience. Hours: 8 AM – 5 PM. Application Deadline: Open Until Filled; First Review Date 5/1/15
Police Officer (Police) - Salary Range: $40,260 – 58,452/yr – Looking for a rewarding career in law enforcement and have a positive impact on the community of Gardner, KS? Join the Gardner Police Department, where you can serve and protect nearly 20,000 citizens. Officers perform general duty police work consisting of patrol work on an assigned shift, preliminary investigation and miscellaneous duties incidental thereto. Requirements include Bachelor or Master’s Degree preferred, but will accept graduation from a standard high school; supplemented by training of a certified law enforcement academy or center; or any combination of training and experience which provides the required knowledge, ability and skill. Possession of a valid driver’s license is required. Physical and mental fitness required, and at least 21 years of age at the time of appointment. Selection guidelines include; formal application; rating of education and experience; written exam; oral interview; polygraph; background check; and psychological evaluation. Application Deadline: 4/27/15. Please complete specific Police Application
Contract & Grant Administrator (Finance)
- Salary: Up to $86,232/yr - EXEMPT - Responsible for developing and implementing a comprehensive grants compliance program that will ensure that the City complies with all State and Federal grant requirements, maintains expenditures within established budgets, and establishes and maintains compliant and efficient records management. Requires a BA in business, finance, accounting, communications or related field. At least five (5) years of experience with the administration, writing or management of contracts and grants. Master’s degree is preferred. Certifications such as CPPO, CPPB, GMCP, etc are preferred. Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Chief Planner (Business & Economic Development)
– Salary Range: $64,128 - $93,168/yr. – EXEMPT – Responsibilities include taking a lead role in developing long-range plans and creation of new or amended development regulations, conducting public outreach and engagement efforts, assisting in the processing of zoning entitlement applications, supporting economic development plans and programs, and providing general support of the Business and Economic Development Department’s customer service initiatives and daily functions. Master’s degree in planning, urban planning, business, public administration, or a related field and a minimum of seven to ten (7 to 10) years of progressively responsible experience in land use, urban planning and comprehensive planning, plus five (5) years of supervisory experience, or any equivalent combination of education and experience that provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities. AICP certification required. Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Utility Manager (Utilities)
- Salary: Up to $93,168/yr – EXEMPT - The City of Gardner KS is accepting applications for the position of Utility Manager. Under the general supervision of the Utilities Director, this position oversees the day-to-day operations of the Utilities Department (Electric, Water and Wastewater Divisions). Requires a Bachelor of Science degree in engineering (preferably in electrical or mechanical engineering or with a strong emphasis on electric engineering). Licensure in the State of Kansas as a Professional Engineer (PE), or within six months of employment. Minimum of seven years experience in electric power production and distribution, preferably in the municipal public sector, or any equivalent combination of training, education, and experience that provides the required knowledge, ability and skill. Comprehensive knowledge of the principles and practices of the design, operation and maintenance of water and wastewater systems. Thorough knowledge of materials, equipment, processes, and techniques used in the operation and maintenance of water, wastewater and electric plants. Requires the possession of a valid driver’s license and a good driving record. Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Journeyman Electric Lineman (Utilities)
- Salary Range: $53,892 - 78,336/yr – Performs skilled work of journeyman level in the construction, maintenance and repair of overhead and underground 12.5KV electric distribution power lines, protection equipment, metering, and other electrical equipment. Minimum qualifications include HS Diploma or GED, with completion of a four (4) year apprentice or merchant program and hold a journeyman lineman certificate issued by the Department of Labor. Position requires possession of valid Kansas Commercial Driver’s License (CDL). Hours M-F; 7:00 AM – 4:00 PM. Application Deadline: Open Until Filled.
Electric Engineering Technician (Utilities)
- Salary Range: $40,260 - 58,452/yr – To perform technical work, including AutoCAD, in the Utility Department pertaining to planning, estimating, staking, and inspection for subdivision projects, electrical extensions and new high voltage circuits; also works with outside contractors, vendors and engineers for maintenance, technical repairs and improvements performed on the 15 KV distribution system. Requires High School diploma or GED and a Certified Engineering Technician designation with a minimum of three (3) years’ experience in the application of design and construction of electric utilities or any equivalent combination of training and experience that provides the required knowledge, ability, and skill. Requires possession of a valid driver’s license. Hours M-F; 7:00 AM – 4:00 PM. Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Business & Economic Development Director (B&E Development)
- Salary up to $107,892/yr. - To serve as the principal point of contact with external and internal constituencies on public-private partnerships for economic development through commercial real estate activities while negotiating, developing and monitoring agreements and other forms of economic and business development incentives. The director reports to the City Administrator and will have the primary responsibility of directing all economic development and business attraction and retention programs. This position serves as the main point of contact on economic development issues and aggressively solicits corporate real estate executives, site selectors, businesses, business owners and other economic development professionals encouraging them to locate or expand in the City of Gardner. The position also supervises the day-to-day operations of the Economic Development, Planning and Codes Divisions. Possession of a valid driver’s license. Salary commensurate with qualifications and experience. Requires Master’s degree in planning, urban planning, business, public administration, or a related field and a minimum of ten (10) years of progressively responsible experience in economic development, redevelopment and community development, plus seven (7) years of supervisory experience, or any equivalent combination of education and experience that provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities. CEcD and/or AICP certification preferred. Excellent judgment and decision making skills. Strong interpersonal skills including the ability to effectively motivate others. Possession of a valid driver’s license. Salary commensurate with qualifications and experience. Competitive benefit package is included. Contact recruiting firm - Affion Public at http://www.affionpublic.com
to request information regarding the recruitment process.
Seasonal Maintenance Worker (Public Works) - Salary: $10.25/hr. - To perform mowing of public areas, fire hydrant painting and other duties as assigned within the street and line maintenance operations division. Must be at least 18 years of age and have a valid driver's license. Hours: 7:00 AM - 4:00 PM; M-F. Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
All offers of employment are conditional upon the successful completion of a post offer physical exam, drug screen, and background check including driving record.
You must have Acrobat Reader to view the employment application or job descriptions. You may download Acrobat Reader for free by visiting http://www.adobe.com. The Police Department requires a different employment application
, which will be posted with any open job announcements.