The City of Gardner is an Equal Opportunity Employer who fully and actively supports equal access for all people, regardless of Race, Color, Religion, Gender, Age, National Origin, Veteran Status, Disability, Genetic Information & Testing, Family & Medical Leave, Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity or Expression. We prohibit Retaliation against individuals who bring forth any complaint, orally or in writing, to the employer or the government, or against any individuals who assist or participate in the investigation of any complaint or otherwise oppose discrimination.
To submit an application electronically, please click HERE. Note: our online application process works best with Internet Explorer 7 or later versions, so please verify that your browser is up-to-date before beginning the online submission process.
Maintenance Worker Lead - Line (Public Works)
- Hiring Range: $17.17 - $21.46/hr. The Maintenance Worker Lead (Line) performs skilled and responsible work supervising and directing the activities and work of the Line Division in maintaining the City's water and sewer lines and related appurtenances. High school diploma or GED. Three (3) years experience in construction and maintenance of water distribution systems and sewer collection system maintenance similar to that of the assignment or any equivalent combination of training and experience that provides the required knowledge, ability, and skills. Requires the possession of a valid Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) and a good driving record. Hours: M-F; 7 A.M. - 3:30 P.M. Application Deadline: 12/11/15
Maintenance Worker - Line (Public Works)
- Hiring Range: $14.87 - $18.59/hr. Performs semi-skilled work in a wide variety of water and sewer maintenance and construction tasks. Requires high school diploma or GED with a minimum of one (1) year experience in semi-skilled maintenance or construction, and/or operation of equipment, similar to that of the assignment or any equivalent combination of training and experience which provides the required knowledge, ability and skill and possession of a valid CDL. Hours: M-F; 7-4. Application Deadline: 12/4/15
Assistant Director of Utilities - (Utility)
- Hiring Range: Up to $101,970/yr – EXEMPT - This position will be at the forefront of the City’s Comprehensive Plan. The City of Gardner Comprehensive Plan provides a road map for policies that will guide the City over the next 15-20 years. The Goals and Objectives help organize the Plan and provide the conceptual framework for more detailed recommendations. The Goals and Objectives are categorized as follows: Neighborhoods and Housing; Commercial Areas; Industrial Areas; Growth and Annexation; Transportation and Mobility; Community Facilities; Open Space; Recreation, and Environmental Features. The Assistant Director will work with the Utilities Director to implement programs and projects aimed at achieving the Plan and the departmental mission and long-term objectives. He/she assists in the overall planning, organization and management of all aspects of utility operations, including general administration, budgeting, planning, and policy development. Responsibilities include planning and scheduling the work of the municipal water treatment, wastewater treatment and electric divisions and ensuring the work conforms to applicable local, state, and federal standards; will assist in the review of construction plans for new developments and city infrastructure improvement projects, an important function will be to keep abreast of developments in the field, new administrative techniques, legislative issues and other current events through continued education and professional growth; will attend conferences, workshops, and seminars as appropriate. Requires thorough knowledge of the operation and maintenance of utility operations; thorough knowledge of electric distribution systems and equipment; working knowledge of electric transmission systems and equipment; and knowledge of all safety regulations and practices. The ability to plan, schedule and supervise the work of skilled and semi-skilled workers performing a variety of tasks under diverse operating conditions; inspire and motivate subordinates; enforce electric industry standards, construction standards, and contract specifications firmly, tactfully, and impartially; exercise independent and logical reasoning and judgment when performing work tasks or communicating with others. Required education, certification and experience requirements include a Bachelor of Science degree in engineering and Licensure as a Professional Engineer (PE); minimum of five years experience in the operation of water, wastewater or electric power production and distribution, preferably in the municipal public sector or company serving the public sector; comprehensive knowledge of the principles and practices of the design, operation and maintenance of water and wastewater systems; thorough knowledge of materials, equipment, processes, and techniques used in the operation and maintenance of water, wastewater and electric plants. Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Journeyman Lineman Electric - (Utility)
- Hiring Range: $26.13 - $32.66/hr. The Journeyman Electric Lineman performs skilled work of journeyman level in the construction, maintenance and repair of overhead and underground 12.5KV electric distribution power lines, protection equipment, metering, and other electrical equipment. Minimum qualifications include graduation from high school or possession of a GED, with completion of a four (4) year apprentice or merchant program and hold a journeyman lineman certificate issued by the Department of Labor. Requires the possession of a valid Kansas Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) and a good driving record. Hours: M-F; 7 A.M. – 3:30 P.M. Application Deadline: Open Until Filled; First Review date 11/23/15
Special Events Coordinator (Parks & Recreation)
- Hiring Range: $41,060 - $51,330/yr. - EXEMPT - The Special Events Coordinator helps direct the planning, sponsorship, organization and implementation of recreation programs and periodic special events (both youth and adult). Requires High School Diploma or GED equivalent. Prefer a Bachelor’s degree. Five years experience in planning special events will substitute for a Bachelor’s degree; ability to manage multiple functions effectively; must be self-motivated and adaptable. Hours: M-F; evenings; weekends; holidays as necessary. Application Deadline: Open Until Filled; First Review date 11/30/15.
Police Officer (Police Department)
- Hiring Range: $19.74 – $24.68/hr. – Looking for a rewarding career in law enforcement and have a positive impact on the community of Gardner, KS? Join the Gardner Police Department, where you can serve and protect nearly 20,000 citizens. Officers perform general duty police work consisting of patrol work on an assigned shift, preliminary investigation and miscellaneous duties incidental thereto. Requirements include Bachelor or Master’s Degree preferred, but will accept graduation from a standard high school; supplemented by training of a certified law enforcement academy or center; or any combination of training and experience which provides the required knowledge, ability and skill. Possession of a valid driver’s license is required. Physical and mental fitness required, and at least 21 years of age at the time of appointment. Selection guidelines include; formal application; rating of education and experience; written exam; oral interview; polygraph; background check; and psychological evaluation. Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
You must have Acrobat Reader to view the employment application or job descriptions. You may download Acrobat Reader for free by visiting http://www.adobe.com. The Police Department requires a different employment application, which will be posted with any open job announcements.