Intermodal and Logistics Park Ballot Question
The Citizens of Gardner will be asked the following question on the November 7, 2006 ballot:
Shall the following be adopted?
RESTRICTIONS ON THE FUTURE ANNEXATION AND COMMERCIAL DEVELOPMENT OF PROPERTY ON THE WEST SIDE OF GARDNER, KANSAS
Be it ordained by the governing body of the City of Gardner, Kansas:
That the City of Gardner, Kansas shall not allow annexation on the following described property.
- All the parcels starting at the point south of the 56 Hwy. and west of Waverly Road, thence southerly to 191st Street, thence westerly to the 56 Hwy., thence northeasterly to the point of origin hereby referred to as the "Triangle" and proposed site of Burlington Northern Santa Fe Railroads Intermodal Facility. Located in the Unincorporated area of Johnson County, Kansas.
Link to Johnson County Election page -http://www.jocoelection.org/archives/Questions/Q-Gardner-11-2006.htm
What does a “yes” vote mean?
* A vote “yes” means the City of Gardner will not be allowed to annex the BNSF Intermodal and Logistics Park site and other parcels of land with the above ballot question for a period of ten years.*
* A vote “yes” does not prevent annexation by another City during the period of ten years.
* A vote “yes” does not prevent BNSF and/or a developer from requesting permitting through Johnson County, Kansas during the ten year period.
* A “yes” vote prohibits the City of Gardner from receiving any City property taxes or other City taxes or fees from this area.
What does a vote “no” mean?
* A vote “no” allows the City of Gardner to consider annexation of the property and to negotiate an Annexation Agreement with BNSF and/or its developer.
* If the City Council agrees to annexation, the Annexation and Development Agreements would determine how the property is to be developed. The City Council and Planning Commission would approve site plans and zoning of the property.
* If the property is annexed, the City of Gardner would receive the taxes and fees that would be paid by BNSF and/or area property owners.
* If the City of Gardner decides to annex the property, it would prevent any other city from annexing the property.
*If the property is not annexed by another City, another ballot initiative can be presented to the City of Gardner during that ten year period that would allow the annexation issue to be reconsidered.
What is annexation?
Annexation is the process by which cities extend their municipal services, regulations, and voting privileges to new territory in exchange for property taxes and fees.